Can yorkies swim?
Most people think that all dogs can swim, but in fact that’s not so true. Most dogs can, but there are some exceptions like Bulldogs for example. Other dog breeds can swim but they don’t enjoy it and others are really great swimmers like American Water Spaniel.
Yorkshire terriers can swim, but they are not naturally built for swimming. Some of them love the water and others don’t. You need to test your Yorkie if he enjoys swimming or not.
When you take your dog for a swim for the first time you have to stay very close and supervise him. Never throw a dog in to the water! Let him check the water for himself, to walk in and out. See if he likes it and if he does you may go first and encourage him to swim to you. Start with short distance first until he feels comfortable in the water.
Here are a few water safety tips
• When you go for a swim with your dog for the first time let him to walk around, to feel the water. Take him to a shallow area, like a children pool or a beach where he could be able to walk slowly in to the water.
We've got a Free Booklet for you!
• Never let your Yorkie to swim alone. If you have your own pool you should keep it covered and keep your doggie safe when you can not supervise him.
• Be sure that the dog can get out of the water at any time. If it is a pool, make sure that your pooch knows how to get himself out of the water.
• Always bring your own fresh water. Don’t let your Yorkie to drink water from lakes, pools or even rivers, because the water could be contaminated with fertilizer, pesticides and etc.
• Keep your eyes open for signs of heat stroke – Even though water cools the body, during the play in a hot summer day your dog could get overheated.
• Dog life vest – we recommend using a dog life vest, because dogs can get fatigued fast while playing in the water and can drown too. Also they might be pulled by tides in the ocean.
After swimming your yorkie will definitely need a bath. You will have to wash off all the dirt and sand from the dog. Clean the ears and make sure they are dry, because the water can lead to ear infection. Pool chemicals usually can dry your dog’s skin, so if you take your Yorkie to swim in a pool you will need to bathe him too.
Here is a video with one very sweet Yorkie. Her name is Zoe and she is very excited when it comes to swimming.
Do your Yorkie like to swim?